Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It Takes A Village

You know what the best part about getting fake married is?  You find out who loves you.

I always knew I had great friends.  I've got a baby sister and a brother-in-law who would walk through fire for me (and I for them).  I've got a dozen nieces and nephews, biological and non, who make me the happiest Auntie in the world by just smiling at me.  I never thought I wasn't loved just because I didn't have a lover.

But nothing prepared me for the outpouring of support when I told everyone my plans for my BFFW.  I've got friends scouring the internet day and night for the perfect doilies, offering to make calls to vendors, brainstorming venues, pulling in favors to get me cut-rate alcohol.  Folks are so giddy with excitement for me I even had one friend say "I hated every second of planning my wedding.  But I can NOT wait to plan yours!".    Love comes in many forms.  For me it didn't come in the shape of a husband but as friends who are willing to help me dye dozens of roses in the team colors of the Seattle Seahawks.

So in that spirit I open the blog up to them.  You'll see posts from my bridesmaids (or Broad's Maids as we've taken to calling them) and other folks.  I don't need to marry in to someone else's family.  I already have a massive extended one of my own, made up of the people who love and support me day in and day out, regardless of genetic ties.  And let me tell you, that's a mighty fine thing.




2 comments:

  1. Aw.

    THIS IS GOING TO BE SO FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megadittoes! Now I need to figure out how to get my butt down there for The Big Day!

    --Phyllis

    ReplyDelete