Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It Costs How Much?!?!

It's not exactly breaking news that weddings are expensive.  But there's a huge difference between hearing a thing and sort of believing it's true, and living a thing and finding out people were actually down selling it a bit.

Holy crap I had no idea.

Here's the deal.  I'm throwing my own wedding but I'm not getting married.  The flaw in this plan is that there isn't another sucker who's just as invested as me in not looking stupid in front of their friends and family.  It's just me.  No future in-laws who want to kick in for the cake, no groom who will be paying for half the hors d'oeuvres and, weirdly, no parents who gush "Ohhhhh, our little girl is getting fake married.  I've ALWAYS dreamed of this day and can't wait to pay for half!".

So it'll be me footing the entire bill.  Which is a bit cuckoo for cocoa puffs considering how much these things cost.  And that it's basically just a big birthday party.  And I'm not actually getting married.  So basically now if I ever do get married I'll be going to Vegas and getting the $59 special at the Elvis Chapel of Love.

But I guess that's the upside of being single and childless - I can spend my money any damn way I please.  Hooray for First World Problems!

Before I go further let me issue the caveat that I fully recognize how silly it is to spend any money on a wedding, particularly a fake one, when there are people worrying about how to keep a roof over their heads and feed their kids.  There is a lot of awful in the world, more than any of us can even conceive.  And I try to do what I can to help, as many of us do.  But I also firmly believe that I have one life to live.  Yes I want the testament of my life to be that I left the world a better place than I found it, that I made a difference in people's lives.  But I also want people to say I lived a life of joy.  So sometimes you have to take a moment for yourself and do something you've always wanted to do.  And for me it's going to be this one day when the people I love and cherish most in this world come together to eat good food, drink champagne and spend a few hours laughing at my baby pictures.  I'm going to carve out this moment of happy for myself ... and then go right back to worrying about the genocide in Sudan (and Congo and half a dozen other places.  Seriously, our world is messed up.).

No comments:

Post a Comment