Monday, June 4, 2012

Fit by 40 and other lofty goals

I am not at what one could politely deem "my healthiest".

My entire life has been defined - but hopefully not to limited by - my weight.   I've always been a big girl - 5 feet, 8 inches isn't short - but I'd like to not be as wide as I am tall.  Ok, ok it's not that bad but I'm definitely not a petite person.

And so I embarked on the "Fit by 40" campaign.  Who doesn't want to look as fabulous as they possibly can on their (fake) wedding day?  For the last year and a half I've been on Weight Watchers and have managed to lose AND MAINTAIN a 40-lb weight loss.  I think there are lots of individuals out there who struggle with their weight and/or body image, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I do as well.  We all need help sometimes and mine comes in the form of a program that teaches me how to listen to my body and take care of it.

I've still got a ways to go but I can see an end in sight - an end where I'm living a healthier lifestyle that I can maintain for the rest of my days.  Turning 40 is just an excuse ... the real reason is that I've come to the realization that no one can or should love me more than I do.  It's not egotism to want to value yourself and I'm finally giving myself permission to do just that.  I'm not going to take jobs for people who abuse me, I'm not going to put food in my body that isn't good for it and makes me feel sicker in the long run and I'm not letting turning 40 (or any other age) color my outlook on life.  I have as many days on this planet as I'm gonna have but I vow to make each one as memorable and worth living as I can.  December 15th should be an epic day filled with love, laughs and happiness but I plan to make it not the only one I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment